Sleeping Beauty cancelled performances
11th Jan 2022
Burnham and District Panto Society have announced that they will be shortening the run of performances for this year’s Panto at The Princess.
Last year’s panto had to be cancelled due to theatre’s being closed from January – May meaning the Panto society took a huge hit in terms of their annual income. This year’s pantomime has taken a lot of hard work with rehearsals being hampered by cast and crew having to isolate. However, Burnham and District Pantomime Society are confident that Sleeping Beauty is ready to go. They have worked hard to bring audiences the best they have to offer.
Traditionally BDPS have held shows in January for the community to brighten up a gloomy month. Following this year’s Xmas and New year celebrations Sleeping Beauty will be a wonderful antidote to cure the January blues.
Gavin Holman from the Panto Society says, “it has been a lot of fun getting back in to the theatre and the rehearsal room despite giving Sleeping Beauty time to rest. The script is home-grown from 30 odd years ago revitalised with material from the past year, of which there is a lot!”
Beccy Armory at The Princess says “Panto is a huge part of our year at the theatre and we are delighted that Sleeping Beauty is going ahead. Whilst ticket sales are lower than normal due to Covid, Panto’s following remains strong.”
Ticket holders for Saturday 22nd, Sunday 23rd and Tuesday 25th are being contacted by staff at The Princess to exchange tickets to the remaining dates; Wednesday 26th – Saturday 29th. If you are a ticket holder for these dates you are welcome to call the box office open Mon-Fri 11am – 4pm but the theatre does ask you to be patient as they work through their lists.
Beccy says “Panto means so much to so many locally not just the performers but audiences and local businesses. Working closely with the Panto Society we have put in stringent measures to keep a COVID safe environment both front of house and backstage.”
The Princess are also supporting the Panto Society with funding towards lighting and sound provision from funds achieved through Somerset County Council’s Opening Up Safely and Reconnecting Communities Fund.
Gavin Holman says, “Without a Panto this year the future of the society would be put in serious doubt due to financial implications. This will be panto’s 52nd year at The Princess (should have been 53rd), so our relationship with the theatre is steeped in history. Panto has been a breeding ground for many young performers, musicians and those who have gone on to careers within theatre or production. By making this decision this year we are safeguarding our future and the future of Pantomime in Burnham.”